State of the Race: Whitmer Leads Dixon, Nessel and Benson Lead

MICHIGAN — With five weeks to go before the election, polls and election experts show Governor Gretchen Whitmer with a lead in the race for governor. A recent WDIV/Detroit News poll shows Whitmer with a 17 point lead over her opponent Tudor Dixon. The poll spells trouble for Dixon who started her campaign with a promise to enforce Michigan’s 1931 anti-abortion law with ‘no exceptions.’

In the poll, only 17.3% of respondents view Dixon favorably while 44.7% view her unfavorably. Meanwhile, 54% of voters approve of Whitmer’s job as governor. WDIV reports the methodology of the poll as, “The Glengariff Group, Inc. conducted a Michigan statewide survey of November 2022 likely general election voters. The 600 sample, live operator telephone survey was conducted on September 26-29, 2022 and has a margin of error of +/-4.0% with a 95% level of confidence. 25.9% of respondents were contacted via landline telephone. 74.1% of respondents were contacted via cell phone telephone. This survey was commissioned by WDIV Local 4 News and the Detroit News.”

Meanwhile, FiveThirtyEight shows Whitmer with a 97% chance of winning the election and a 3% chance of Dixon winning. The estimated vote total predicted is 54.0% for Whitmer and 42.1% for Dixon with about 3.8% for third party candidates.

The WDIV/Detroit News poll also shows Attorney General Dana Nessel with a 12-point lead over her opponent Matthew Deperno. Deperno, is currently under investigation for voter fraud. The poll has Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson leading her opponent Kristina Karamo by 17-points, Karamo has been accused of trying to kill her family.

Campaign Notes

The Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Michigan Manufacturers Association have both endorsed Gretchen Whitmer for re-election. The Chamber endorsed Whitmer in 2018 while the Manufacturers endorsed her opponent Bill Schuette in 2018.

Get in Touch

Related Articles

Latest Posts